Before you consider buying a coffee roaster for your personal use, there are a few factors you need to consider. There are plenty of machines that roast coffee out there, and they come in different shapes and sizes. As a coffee lover, your ability to spot and choose the perfect roaster will help you save money and minimize the number of times you visit the coffee shop.
Coffee roasters are essential tools in your coffee-making arsenal. These gadgets are equipped with features to enable you to get the best out of a cup of tea. These machines come with different price tags and can range from $25 to as high as $350 for a customizable one. There are four major categories of the best coffee roasting machines in 2022. They are as follows:
- Manual coffee roasters
- Automatic coffee roasters
- Customizable coffee roasters
- Single-cup coffee roasters
How to Choose the Right Coffee Roaster
Identifying which roaster is right for you can be challenging with the range of alternatives out there. We want to provide you with some guidelines and a few points to consider when deciding on your first roaster or thinking about an upgrade.
Before deciding to get a coffee maker, some of the questions you need to ask yourself are:
- How do I like my coffee made?
- How much quantity of coffee do I drink daily or weekly?
- How long will I spend preparing a cup of coffee?
The next factors to consider are the coffee makers available within your location. Some types of roasters include:
Stovetop Coffee Roaster:
This type of device is usually cheap but requires a lot of handling and attention from you. The brewing process is performed by hand as you have to hold it over a stove or gas burner. It is the perfect roaster for hiking and camping.
Electrical Coffee Roaster:
The electrical roaster is more popular for home use and is convenient and easy to use. All you have to do is pour in the coffee powder, choose a setting, hit the button, and wait for the job to be done.
Popcorn Coffee Roaster:
This coffee maker is mainly for beginners or people trying out roasting for the first time. It is quite cheaper to get and can be operated manually.
Why Roast Coffee at Home?
Roasting your coffee at home means you get to drink coffee anytime time you want, without having to visit the coffee shop so often. The learning process may take time, but the result is always satisfying. Making your coffee sounds great, and there are good reasons to back up this theory. Some of the reasons include:
- Roasting the coffee yourself saves money.
- You become perfect while doing it yourself.
- You get to pick out the fresh coffee seeds.
- It saves you the occasional visits to the coffee shop.
Below are the necessary steps to take in roasting your coffee at home:
Selecting Your Roasting Method:
There are several advantages and limitations to roasting your coffee. However, the method you choose will determine how it goes. You also have to consider how much coffee you intend to roast and how much you are willing to spend.
Searching for the Coffee Beans:
You probably won’t know the best coffee to use, especially if you regularly drink at the coffee shop. It may require you to research to know the particular bean suitable for you.
Deciding the Coffee Roaster to Use:
There are a lot of coffee makers you can choose to use for your brewing. While most of them may perform the same task, they are still unique in their way. Your ability to purchase the right one will be of added help to you.
Setting Up Your Roasting Space:
You might choose to brew your coffee indoors or outdoors. Wherever you decide to use it, ensure that the area is properly ventilated. You may need some equipment on hand.
Roasting the Coffee:
You can choose to roast your coffee manually or mechanically. A coffee-making process usually takes 7-13 minutes.
How to Choose the Right Coffee Roaster
Choosing the proper coffee roaster depends on how dark you want to roast your coffee, the quantity of coffee you drink each day (to choose the size), and the money you spend on it. The batch sizes vary from four to 12 ounces of green coffee for domestic coffee roasters. Four ounces of unroasted beans can provide 5.25 scoops of coffee ground, equivalent to 26 to 42 ounces of coffee liquid. Each roaster has its size, and the preference depends on your demand.
Here are some tips to consider in choosing the right coffee roaster:
- Manual or automatic
- Coffee capacity
- Smoke and sound suppression
- Brewing time.
Different Types of Coffee Roasters
There are three types of coffee roasters, namely:
The air drum allows for greater convective heat movement in the roasting process. The roaster can create a more even roast and a wider range of batch measurement flexibility through this increased airflow. Additionally, the roasting procedure uses much less warmth than a normal drum roaster.
Popcorn roasters will generally roast the coffee quicker and with less strength than drum roasters. The air is pre-heated and pushed through a column of coffee beans. Popcorn roasters are known for the retention of coffee flavor and more consistency.
This device roasts coffee using heating a rotating drum. The beans receive both conductive warmth transfer from the floor of the drum and convection from the ambient air. One of the huge drawbacks to watching with a drum roaster is that some beans will get burnt that contact the drum. This burning process makes it tougher to duplicate roast profiles if you are not used to the specific roaster.
Coffee roasters all come in different shapes and sizes. The amount of coffee you want to brew will largely depend on the size of the roaster. Those who make small amounts of coffee can choose to use the air roaster, while people who drink large coffee can opt for the drum roaster.
How Much Control Do You Want?
The way you control your coffee roaster works allows for effective coffee brewing. There are coffee makers that come with digital timing displays, programmable buttons, and automatic shutoff systems. All these qualities can make the roaster a bit expensive, but they offer more controllability.
Cooling Is Almost As Important As Heating
Once the coffee is brewed, the next step is to cool the beans down to avoid over-heating. This reason is why a cooling feature is needed in any roaster. Most coffee makers come with a shallow tray where the beans are dumped to cool off faster. Other devices have cooling systems that blow cool air through their chambers once the roasting process is completed.
Keeping It Clean
Most coffee roasters come with various compartments that require thorough cleaning. Keeping your coffee maker clean also determines the hygienic quality of the coffee you are making.
The Ten Best Home Coffee Roasters for 2022
Now that you know the differences between these roasters, the next step for you is buying one for yourself. Likely, you don’t know which coffee roaster will suit you perfectly. To help you narrow your search, below are ten of the best coffee roasters for 2022:
The OXO Brew 8 is one of the most durable coffee roasters, made from stainless steel. It also features a systematic precision that controls brewing time, water volume, and temperature. This device can also come with a double-wall vacuum that keeps your coffee hot.
- It comes with a coffee scoop and ten paper filters.
- The vacuum thermal reduces heat loss.
- It is custom-made to fit under cupboards and cabinets.
- The water reservoir isn’t removable.
- It doesn’t come with a water filtration system.
This device comes with a single-cup brewing system. It is easy to use and is programmed to start brewing the coffee at a specific time. Also, you don’t have to bother about shutting it off all the time. You can leave it after usage, and its 2-hour automatic shutoff system will take care of the rest.
- It comes in 2 separate ways to brew.
- It comes with an automatic shutoff system.
- It is easy to use and customize.
- No paper filter available.
- Weak hot plate.
This coffee maker can make up to 12 cups of coffee at once. It features a collection of mugs that temporarily stops the flow of coffee without making a mess. You can choose to use the digital controls to set the time for brewing the coffee. This device is ideal for people who like their coffee hot, even after cold milk.
- Controls are easy to use.
- It comes with a digital programming system.
- Quick brew time.
- Filling of grounded coffee and water is done manually.
- Brewing is done at low temperatures.
This device comes with a programmable timer that allows you to set the brew time up to 22 hours in advance. It also comes with an automatic 2-hour shutoff system. You can also schedule your time to brew your coffee with the operation buttons and LCD screen. There is no reason to worry about dirt, as it is easy to clean.
- It is easy to clean.
- It comes with a programmable timer.
- It includes warming plates that keep the coffee at optimum temperature.
- Controls can be difficult to use.
- Coffee is overheated in a short time.
The Moccamaster KBGV comes with a selector switch to brew a half or a full flask. You can also adjust the brewing speed and the plate’s temperature according to your choice. This device is quiet and safe to use and automatically shuts down 100 minutes after use.
In addition, it comes with a 5-year warranty and is voice-controlled. The timer and water reservoir helps you set brewing time and features a removable water pot.
- It comes with an optimized process for coffee extraction.
- Quick brewing time.
- Heats water at a consistent temperature.
- Small counter space
- The size can be an obstacle.
This device allows you to pour a cup while brewing, automatically keeping your coffee warm. Thanks to its premium and stainless steel surface, it is also strong and durable. It is easy and simple to use, with an ON/Off button for smooth navigation. The “Keep Warm” function keeps your coffee warm after brewing.
- Modern accessories included.
- Easy-to-fill water tank.
- Pause and Swerve system that allows you multi-task.
- Low reliability and is not scratch resistant.
- Noisy when operating.
This coffee maker comes with a capsule system that holds the finest espressos without cleanup or measuring. It also comes with a rapid heat-up time that speeds up the healing process in seconds. Also, there is a digital multi-language display and a folding drip tray.
- Digital touch screen display
- Programmable buttons and controls
- Auto-clean system
- Too big to fit travel mugs.
- It has a limited color range.
This device is made from a combination of plastic and stainless steel. It comes with a 360-degree transparent body that allows you to monitor the whole brewing process. In addition, it also serves as a milk frother and tea maker. The body is resistant to high and low temperatures and is unbreakable.
It comes with a 360 degree fully transparent body.
It is time-saving.
It can multi-task and serve other purposes.
- Not big enough.
- No extra accessories.
This device features cutting-edge technology that makes coffee making easy. A self-cleaning machine that notifies you when it needs cleaning by turning on the ‘clean’ LED indicator. In addition, it comes with a 3-year warranty and is fully programmable.
- It can brew 14 cups of coffee at a time.
- It comes with a self-cleaning system.
- It is quite easy to use.
- It consumes a lot of energy.
- It is quite slow.
This coffee maker is made from plastic glass and features two brew buttons. It also comes with a programmable warming plate that ensures your coffee is kept at the perfect temperature. It is easy to fill the removable water tank.
- It comes with a programmable warming plate.
- It is easy to fill the water tank.
- It evenly saturates the coffee beans for optimal extraction.
- No thermal carafe.
- It takes a small number of coffee beans.
Below are three maintenance tips for coffee roasters:
- The more regularly you clean the interior of your machine, the simpler it will be to use the subsequent time. Create a timetable for how often you clean every roaster part, depending on the place, and how quickly coffee oils and residue buildup.
- All roasting machines have a chaff collection chamber that keeps chaff a safe distance away from flames and heat sources. Get in the habit of emptying the chaff collection chamber at the end of each roast day as soon as your coffee roaster has cooled down.
- Make sure to put on the appropriate equipment while cleaning your machine. Goggles or large glasses are necessary to keep particles and chemical compounds out of your eyes. Get a mask to protect your lungs from all the gunk and dust removed in the course of cleaning. And wear rubber or latex gloves to keep your fingers free of oil and chemical.
Roasting your coffee at home is worth it. You learn more about coffee while enjoying the process altogether. In addition, you will get that perfect mix, taste, and flavor. As a result, the caffeine level decreases significantly. You also have access to fresh coffee any time you want, thereby saving you a lot of money and reduced visits to the coffee shop. To make the best roasted coffee at home, consider any of the best coffee roasting machines in 2022 in this review.